*** FAA and most airline rules require locking your rifles and shotguns in a metal or strong plastic case.
No ammunition is allowed in the same case with your firearms. The ammo permissible by the airlines per person is 11 pounds. This ammo should be transported in your suitcase or duffel bag in their original boxes. If possible, avoid transporting shotgun ammo. Ask your professional hunter if he can get the ammo you need for your shotgun. Common ammunition is readily available in South Africa, however in other African countries it will be difficult to obtain and if available is quite expensive. Based on the experience of our staff, we recommend removing the bolt from your firearm. The bolt can be carried in your other check-in luggage.
The majority of the airlines permit only 2 guns per case, however some allow up to 3 guns. Make sure that the total weight of your check-in case does not exceed 70 lbs.
In Africa, only South Africa allows the importation of a handgun for the purpose of hunting. All other African countries prohibit the importation of handguns.
Regardless of where you are hunting in Africa, you need to do the following:
1. You must register your firearm with the U.S. Customs Office nearest your hometown and obtain the U.S. Customs Form 4457. This form is required to prove ownership of the firearm in Africa and to prove to the U.S. Customs when you return to the U.S.A. that you had the firearm with you before you left the U.S.A.
2. You must decide if you need insurance for your firearms. Possible sources are:
- Your homeowners insurance
- Safari Club International Insurance 1-800-925-7767
- National Rifle Association 1-877-672-3006
3. You must use a gun case that is strong and can be locked. Avoid cheap plastic cases. Put your name, address and phone number on the case in a secure way - stencil or metal plate.
If you arrive in Africa and your guns are missing for any reason, please remember that you are the person that needs to clear the guns with Customs. The exception is South Africa. There a Custom Travel representative can help you clear your guns in your absence. In any other country when the guns get to the city involved, you must be there to clear customs.